Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us who you are and where you're from

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Default #5 E28 B7 Turbo from Georgia saying hello

Hello, my name is David Frankel. I proudly own #116, a 1985 B7 Turbo/1 E28
Car is Diamantschwartz and has been restored approx 5 yrs ago. It has 92k original miles and oddly is a pretty plain jane example from Alpina. This one was spec'd with manual Pearl beige leather sport seats which was pretty rare from Alpina (kinda boring IMHO) but almost everything else is Alpina. This car also came with the larger rear diff so no diff cooler was added as well as the headlight washing system and headlight leveling system, both which were made inoperable by the DOT/EPA at time of importation in 1986/7. (something I desire to make operate again).The Brakes have been updated with 850 fronts and e34 M5 rears probably from the 2 owner. I am the 3rd. Suspension is Bilstein Sport w/ H&R springs (I have the original Bilsteins as well as several other Alpina spec Bilsteins for rebuilding valve stacks to Alpina spec and 2 sets of alpina B7 Turbo springs)I added a UUC SSK to the dogleg tranny and everything works including the A/C. My pictures are somewhat dated but here are a couple - All window tint has been removed since these pics were taken. This car is used for shows and events these days. I live in Cumming Ga.Cumming is approximately 30 miles north of Atlanta. Interesting tidbit: There are actually 2 Alpinas in Cumming Ga, mine and Todd Howertons E24 B9. Todd has helped me tremendously through the years on this car and others.

As a Bimmer nut, I also own several other BMWs including a mint 1988 Henna Red M3 all original with Full Dinan suspension (I have all original pieces) with 31k original miles, a 1988 M5 with 77k miles that has been customized to Euro look spec, with every conceivable aftermarket option and had Ron Ps treatment including a brand new interior, and my daily driver a 2001 740i Sport original with 77k miles.

Last edited by Gaalpinaowner; 01-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi David, hope all is well; good to see that you finally join this Alpina club, welcome and I must say that your B7 is one of the nice example I have seen. Hope you would take the time and post some new and detail pictures that we can admire the beauty!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

David, welcome to the forum and the club. Your car is beautiful and completes the set - all five North American E28 B7 Turbo owners have logged on here in the last two weeks. Now we've got to get you guys together for a group photo!

Be sure to invite Todd Howerton to the forum, if he's so inclined.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM

David,

Do you have the Alpina specs for rebuilding the Bilsteins? As well, do you have the spring rate for the Alpina B7 Turbo springs?

How would you describe the ride/handing difference between the Alpina set-up and your current set-up with the H&R and Billy Sports?

The reason why I'm asking is because a the present time I'm rolling with a Dinan set-up on my e28 M5 and I anticipate that sometime in the future will want to replace/upgrade the suspension.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Toronto View Post
David,

Do you have the Alpina specs for rebuilding the Bilsteins? As well, do you have the spring rate for the Alpina B7 Turbo springs?

How would you describe the ride/handing difference between the Alpina set-up and your current set-up with the H&R and Billy Sports?

The reason why I'm asking is because a the present time I'm rolling with a Dinan set-up on my e28 M5 and I anticipate that sometime in the future will want to replace/upgrade the suspension.
The specs for the stack are determined by the numerical number stamped on the shocks and struts....finding someone to determine what this is, is another deal altogether. Bilstein US is worthless for this. Bilstein Germany has the specs and the stack has to be duplicated with the same exact shims. The spring rates I do not have but they can be determined on a spring rate machine

I like the ride of the Bilstein Sp / HR combo myself - but some say too harsh not me...I have this on my M5 as well and like it a lot. BTW I have a extra set of Bilstein Sports for M5 brand new never used or installed. If you have interest pm me. I may have sold the H&R springs new also that I have. I need to verify.

Some prefer Mtech & Bilstein sport combo. I have not had a chance to drive one yet.

Alpina suspension is too expensive and too rare for anything but a alpina IMHO. This is why I am sitting on mine. Also B9 E28 uses different set up vs B7 turbo
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaMan View Post
Hi David, hope all is well; good to see that you finally join this Alpina club, welcome and I must say that your B7 is one of the nice example I have seen. Hope you would take the time and post some new and detail pictures that we can admire the beauty!
thanks a bunch. I will try to get some new shots soon

David
Old 01-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
David, welcome to the forum and the club. Your car is beautiful and completes the set - all five North American E28 B7 Turbo owners have logged on here in the last two weeks. Now we've got to get you guys together for a group photo!

Be sure to invite Todd Howerton to the forum, if he's so inclined.
i will do this

thanks

David
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaalpinaowner View Post
The specs for the stack are determined by the numerical number stamped on the shocks and struts....finding someone to determine what this is, is another deal altogether. Bilstein US is worthless for this. Bilstein Germany has the specs and the stack has to be duplicated with the same exact shims. The spring rates I do not have but they can be determined on a spring rate machine

I like the ride of the Bilstein Sp / HR combo myself - but some say too harsh not me...I have this on my M5 as well and like it a lot. BTW I have a extra set of Bilstein Sports for M5 brand new never used or installed. If you have interest pm me. I may have sold the H&R springs new also that I have. I need to verify.

Some prefer Mtech & Bilstein sport combo. I have not had a chance to drive one yet.

Alpina suspension is too expensive and too rare for anything but a alpina IMHO. This is why I am sitting on mine. Also B9 E28 uses different set up vs B7 turbo
Thanks for the info David. PM coming your way. Mark
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Welcome David

Quite the list of cars you've got there! Care to post up some photos of your E30 M3 as well? I love the look of these cars, but can't seem to bring myself to buy one. A buddy of mine had one for sale a few years back, and I'm kicking myself for not buying it because the prices for them seem to have skyrocketed ever since.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Welcome David

Quite the list of cars you've got there! Care to post up some photos of your E30 M3 as well? I love the look of these cars, but can't seem to bring myself to buy one. A buddy of mine had one for sale a few years back, and I'm kicking myself for not buying it because the prices for them seem to have skyrocketed ever since.

I will guaranty, you will be so hooked that e28 would become a bench mark for comparison.