Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Default Alpina Replacement Keys?

Has anyone ordered a replacement key for their Alpina? I'm guessing I can take the original BMW VIN to the dealer and I should be able to get a replacement, but I thought I'd check if anyone else has done this?

I presently have one master key and one valet key. In swapping the tumbler during a door handle replacement it became very obvious that my current master key is quite worn out, so I'd like to get a new one. Also, since it's so worn out, it doesn't work with the new door handle, but the valet key works ok.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 PM

You should be able to take the original VIN to a BMW dealer, prove your ownership and they should be able to make a key for you.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro20v View Post
You should be able to take the original VIN to a BMW dealer, prove your ownership and they should be able to make a key for you.
That's what I'll try and do when I put insurance on the car in the spring, but I figure the trick is going to be that I'll have to order based on the BMW VIN, but my ownership and insurance papers will have the Alpina VIN. Then, the VIN on the cowl has been scratched out by the Alpina factory, so it makes it a bit hard to read. Good news is I found a second BMW VIN located on the fuel sender cover under the rear seat.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the process, but I might be the guinea pig.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:11 AM

That may not work, depending on which key you are trying to replace. If you are trying to replace the RF key (one that transmits to the car), be advised that BMW had different frequencies for cars in Europe than in NA. I tried to get one replaced on my B12 5.7 and was unable to order one through the NA dealer network. The reason is that the frequency used in Europe is not approved in NA (or at least in the US). Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 PM

I don't think the keys for E36's are RF. I had to buy a key for an E31 I imported from Japan before, and they ordered the replacement key in from Germany. I believe it was the same type of key I have for my E36 B8.

Thanks for input though Good point!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 AM

I can happily confirm that my new key ordered through BMW works with the Alpina! Yay! After a few years of delaying the replacement of the driver's door handle, I finally have a working door handle and a key and lock system that works properly!

I also changed the oil last weekend, so it's all ready for the summer driving season!
Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Did the dealer want to see ownership papers with the BMW VIN on them or did you just show him you had the car in your possession?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM

It was two months ago now, but I believe I brought in my ownership papers and then we went out to the car to look at the original BMW VIN. I'm happy I found the one under the back seat on top of the fuel level sender. Much easier to read than the scratched out VIN on the cowl.