Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Calling all E28 owners

I am struck by the level of E28 enthusiasm on the forum. Not having owned one, I would like to hear from some E28 owners and how they feel the E28 (both straight BMW and Alpina variants) compares to the E30, E34 or other BMWs, even newer models, they've owned.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Sterling,

I have owned all the models you mentioned and then some, e.g., e36, e39 (still have an e30 and e28s, plus a 2002), and the e28 is, IMO, the best all-around BMW ever made! It's not to small, not to large, excellent visibilty, 4 doors, big trunk, good performance (which can be made excellent), good-looking... in a boxy sort of way , bullet-proof motor (especially the M30), maintainable by a DIYer, and all the issues are known as are the solution. What more could you ask for!!

I had a track version e28 M5 (just sold it last year) and it was like an e30 m3 on steroids... awesome car. I highly recommend you take a drive in a good one and then we can help you find one to buy... you won't regret it.

-RoyW
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Sterling,

Roy did a good job of describing why the e28 is such a fantastic car. I've own three e28's, 528 eta, 535 IS and my current variant, M5 3.9 stroker. Join us for a wrench fest this spring and you are welcome to take my car for a spin. There's quite of a variety of e28's here in Toronto, Mario's bone stock M5, Sia's B7 Turbo and 525 euro that he is currently doing the S54 transplant. And in addition to Roy's e28's, there's a boat load of great examples south of the border, such as Matt's M5.

Last edited by Mark in Toronto; 02-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Why e28, because the e28 is one of the most remarkable chasse that was created by BMW and it was way a head of its time up to date, even the suspension design carried to the end of e34 era, which shows that they were made to perform. If you drive a nice and well looked after e28 regardless of the model, you will quickly find out as how quick and responsive the car will act under various circumstances in every day driving situation and that is because e28 demand driver engagement, which you don’t get that feeling from the newer BMWs.

I have driven and owned many models but out of all I have special place for e28 that will make me always want to own one or two, and I don’t think you would understand this logic till you own one then perhaps you could tell us as how you became an e28 fan.

Last edited by AlpinaMan; 02-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 AM

yea what they said...and for me I learned to drive with my fathers 1972 3.0 Bavaria. BMWs were so exclusive or minimal depending how you look at it at the time. Every BMW owner flashed their lights or waved upon passing another BMW, something I have never seen with another car manufacturer that impacted me to this day. I fell in love with the Classic "BMW Box look" as well as a car that responded so well compared to any american made car. Later on my father bought a E28 after selling the Bavaria. The E28 was just a much more refined edition to a already great platform E3. Now I own 2 E28s, a E30 M3 and lust after a 3.0 CSL....a terrible sickness
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Toronto View Post
... in addition to Roy's e28's, there's a boat load of great examples south of the border, such as Matt's M5.
Why thanks, Mark, I'm humbled.

Sterling, I am relatively new to the BMW ownership but fell for them years ago as a kid living in Brussels, Belgium. The neue klasse were that, and as a boy I thought they had style! My friend has an e9 with M30 conversion and raced one here locally in SCCA events. My son was enamoured by the e28 so when I finally cut the umbilical cord to my '50s and '60s Ford/Chevy rides we bought our first BMW - an '87 535is. I liked it and figured if it was good, the M5 must be great. So I bought Jeff Tripps! The e28 M5 is a lovely mix of style, power and handling. I'm older now and have a 'Super Saloon' fits my lifestyle quite nicely.

I also have an e30 325 Cabrio. The two are quite different in driving experience, but I like them both. The little M-Tech convertible turns more heads than the M5. Go figure It handles well but is a smaller vehicle and perhaps even slightly under-powered. The two doors have cachet though, that the Saloon can't.

I'm hooked on the e28 now and would like to try the tuner variants, especially the Alpina. I have even considered putting my cars on the market one day so I have an Alpina war chest. I'd also like to use the e28 chassis for a street ride build. Not as extreme as Sia's but something along the lines of an S38/turbo drivetrain with a modernized suspension and braking structure. The nice thing about the e28 right now is that they're quite affordable and plentiful (Alpina excepted) and parts are too. I hope that many find dry long-term storage and don't get crushed.

I should try driving some of the other models you mention. My experience with the e24 M6 was underwhelming. A nice car with similar power range to the M5, but it felt 'bigger' or 'heavier' or something I've not been able to put my finger on exactly and visibility seemed limited. Strange because I've always been a sports coupe guy and thought that once I'd had an M6 I'd be hooked, but it just didn't turn out that way.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about MyE28!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab1957 View Post
Why thanks, Mark, I'm humbled.

Sterling, I am relatively new to the BMW ownership but fell for them years ago as a kid living in Brussels, Belgium. The neue klasse were that, and as a boy I thought they had style! My friend has an e9 with M30 conversion and raced one here locally in SCCA events. My son was enamoured by the e28 so when I finally cut the umbilical cord to my '50s and '60s Ford/Chevy rides we bought our first BMW - an '87 535is. I liked it and figured if it was good, the M5 must be great. So I bought Jeff Tripps! The e28 M5 is a lovely mix of style, power and handling. I'm older now and have a 'Super Saloon' fits my lifestyle quite nicely.

I also have an e30 325 Cabrio. The two are quite different in driving experience, but I like them both. The little M-Tech convertible turns more heads than the M5. Go figure It handles well but is a smaller vehicle and perhaps even slightly under-powered. The two doors have cachet though, that the Saloon can't.

I'm hooked on the e28 now and would like to try the tuner variants, especially the Alpina. I have even considered putting my cars on the market one day so I have an Alpina war chest. I'd also like to use the e28 chassis for a street ride build. Not as extreme as Sia's but something along the lines of an S38/turbo drivetrain with a modernized suspension and braking structure. The nice thing about the e28 right now is that they're quite affordable and plentiful (Alpina excepted) and parts are too. I hope that many find dry long-term storage and don't get crushed.

I should try driving some of the other models you mention. My experience with the e24 M6 was underwhelming. A nice car with similar power range to the M5, but it felt 'bigger' or 'heavier' or something I've not been able to put my finger on exactly and visibility seemed limited. Strange because I've always been a sports coupe guy and thought that once I'd had an M6 I'd be hooked, but it just didn't turn out that way.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about MyE28!
Thanks for the extreme comment!: I am flattered

Also I should mentioned that I agree with your point of view regarding building a car as per your spec and personality, but I wouldn
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

When I was learning to read, my father would bring home brochures from the BMW/Porsche/Audi dealer. They had lots of photos and thick paper. I wasn't the most careful with them, as I was three. That said, the one that got the most use was the full line brochure for the 1988 model year. It had a two-page deal on the E28 M5 and I spent more time on those two pages than anything else.

I'll spare the long version of the story, but I bought an '83 533i in college. Loved the car. It did everything I wanted to do and it was just a great car. It was quite advanced for 1983, particularly with the check control and the OBC. It's funny to say that it was advanced then in the way BMWs are advanced today. The difference being that this one still gives you a visceral driving experience. Excellent visibility, handling that bests nearly any other car it's size, loads of usable space, etc. A very practical car that can be driven at the limit with relative ease.

I lost that 533i to an E36 convertible in May, 2007, so I went searching for another 533. Nice cars were few and far between when I was looking. Several months later, I bought an '87 535is in September, 2007. I more-or-less settled on that car, though I was drawn by full records and just a well-cared-for car. I added another '83 533i in December, 2008. I bought an E34 touring a year later, an E12 M535i in April, 2010, an E28 M535i in November, 2010 and my Alpina B7Turbo in April, 2011. I parted out my 535is in July, 2011 after 85,000 miles and many thousands in "upgrades." In August, 2011, I added a second E12 M535i because it was available.

I enjoy the E12 chassis, but the E28 is a huge step forward despite being virtually the same car from windscreen to windscreen. The chassis is better - it's more solid, more responsive. Sure, whatever you tell the E12 to do, it will, but the E28 will do it just that much better - enough to where it's noticeable.

For me, it falls apart at the E34. I bought a touring because it was a rare color, had a few neat things and it was cheap compared to the market (needed a radiator). I figured that they were a neat car, and useful - I've grown up with Volvo 245s, which swallow lots of stuff. I found that yeah, it's a BMW and yes, it's a wagon, but it's a compromise. I don't feel that way as much these days having driven enough sedan E34s to remain sufficiently bored for the next decade. The touring isn't as rigid (what with the big gaping hole between the rear shock towers), but it handles nicely and is a nice, comfortable car. It's no E28 though. I get back into the E28 and it's a totally different experience. I feel more connected. I feel more like I'm a bigger part of the experience. The car is louder, lighter, more responsive. I also think it's more attractive.

I guess all that I said is summed up by saying they're probably the best car ever made. I don't know of any that are as versatile and rewarding. They have a quirky styling that's just beautiful. It's very functional. Looks like it's going 100 mph standing still.

I couldn't imagine being without an E28.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Chris, excellent write-up!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkohler View Post
I guess all that I said is summed up by saying they're probably the best car ever made. I don't know of any that are as versatile and rewarding. They have a quirky styling that's just beautiful. It's very functional. Looks like it's going 100 mph standing still.

I couldn't imagine being without an E28.

Well said Chris.

Tags
bmw e28