Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 PM

Default What tires will I get?

My B6 is due in 6-8 weeks. As I travel in the Sierra, it's important to have "M&S" (mud and snow) tires: the Highway Patrol considers a 4WD with these tires to be as good as chains.

All I can find anywhere is that my car will come with "all season" tires. NOBODY can tell me what that means!

Are these M&S?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 PM

"all season" is a very broad term to describe tires that are middle of the range or maybe low on the quality and performance end. Yes, you can get all season tires that are better quality and some will have the M+S markings, but if you are looking at a budget, I would factor in buying new tires.

I'm not really sure why, but a lot of cars that come from Japan have really old tires. Even if the tread is in good shape the tires are old and cracking, so they need to be replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:
brooke (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM

Thanks for that. I can't believe that I can't get official word on the tires that will come on the car. I'm hoping that, given winters in North America, that the all-seasons will be M&S. Presumably BMW/Alpina will put premium tires on a $125K car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
"all season" is a very broad term to describe tires that are middle of the range or maybe low on the quality and performance end. Yes, you can get all season tires that are better quality and some will have the M+S markings, but if you are looking at a budget, I would factor in buying new tires.

I'm not really sure why, but a lot of cars that come from Japan have really old tires. Even if the tread is in good shape the tires are old and cracking, so they need to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Your dealer can't even tell you the Brand and model of tires, irregardless if they can't confirm the M+S status? That is pretty sad!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirling View Post
Your dealer can't even tell you the Brand and model of tires, irregardless if they can't confirm the M+S status? That is pretty sad!
Since I just got word that the car is ready for shipping, I tried again. We shall see… I agree, they should be able to tell me at least the specs…

Edit: Nope. They "won't know until the car arrives."

Last edited by brooke; 01-10-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke View Post
They "won't know until the car arrives."
This continues to annoy me. (Perhaps if they'd put her on a ship that I could follow, I'd be less irascible.)

I can understand that they use multiple sources, so as not to be caught short if one is problematic. However, that car has certain tires on it, and someone put them on it, and it's in their records, and it shouldn't be very hard to run down the info. However, someone would have to go out of their way ...
Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke View Post
This continues to annoy me. (Perhaps if they'd put her on a ship that I could follow, I'd be less irascible.)

I can understand that they use multiple sources, so as not to be caught short if one is problematic. However, that car has certain tires on it, and someone put them on it, and it's in their records, and it shouldn't be very hard to run down the info. However, someone would have to go out of their way ...
This would be considered a failure of customer service at Sears, let alone on an expenditure of this magnitude.

Have you tried cutting BMW out of the equation and contacting Alpina directly? I've always found them extremely helpful.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Perhaps to wrap up my own thread, the car is awaiting pickup. I've received some pics, and it seems that the tires are Conti Extreme Contact(?) DWS. Pretty well reviewed.