Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion General Alpina talk

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 11-03-2020, 11:07 AM

I did find them local, but I'm not sure it the same source you are referring to. If it's the one I'm thinking, that person does have some nice wheels, but it seems like the asking prices are basically the same as buying new. Hence, why the same wheels have been for sale for what seems like 10 years, LOL!

I found the ones I got from a guy selling an E36 imported from Japan that just happened to have the Alpina wheels on it. I asked him if he'd be willing to sell just the wheels and we were able to make a deal.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:34 PM

Three of the wheels have definitely been re-painted at some point. They are a bit darker grey and the finish is rougher which is making it so grime sticks to them more. These wheels are generally in better shape than mine though, so when the time comes, it should be cheaper to get these refinished than my current wheels.

Front, the one wheel that has not been painted:

Rear:

Old 04-22-2021, 03:21 PM

Got a new toy to lift the car

This should make replacing the front end components a lot easier!

Last edited by Scooter; 04-23-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Got a new toy to lift the car

This should make replacing the front end components a lot easier!
I'm unable to see the picture on my Mac... can you see it?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Not sure what happened there...Fixed now though
Old 07-12-2021, 08:45 AM

Sadly, I won't have this car out on the road this year. Expenses are tight with two kids in daycare for the next year. I did take it out and give it a wash this weekend though

Old 07-13-2021, 05:22 PM
Administrator

What beauty.

Sorry to hear you can't drive her this summer.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:41 PM

Looks awesome Scooter, you’re a great caretaker for that beautiful car. I hear you on the cost of daycare 😱
Old 04-29-2022, 08:02 AM

I thought I had posted something here more recently than last July, but maybe not. Since then I've been working on a few things.

FINALLY removed the headlights and flipped the projectors. I haven't had the car back on the road to test them yet though.

Here you can see the two settings for the projector. Simple as remove and reinstall for LHD traffic.

Here's the projector reinstalled after rotating for LHD.

Also finally got around to replacing the bump stops and top hats on the rear shocks and installing reinforcing plates. The hardest part of this was removing everything from the trunk to get access! The washer bottle in the trunk doesn't help, and no way I was going to remove this as well.

Old

New

Installed with reinforcing plate.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 AM

Next onto the front suspension. I don't have as many photos of this, but I'm replacing a lot:
  • Control arms and bushings
  • Inner and outer tie rods
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Sway bar end links

Old sway bar parts

Tie rod removed

And this is where I got stuck for a bit. I replaced the control arms in my wife's 2000 330i before, so I thought this would be similar....not quite. The ball joint separator I usually use didn't fit under the shock, so I had to go out and buy a pickle fork to remove the control arms. Once removed I noticed the control arms used offset bushings which is where I got confused and had to do research.

Before I started I looked at the control arms. They are the serviceable type found on non-M suspension, so I assumed it was all non-M in the front. The parts brochure for the car (from Alpina) is usually pretty good about specifying Alpina specific or M specific items. However, there is no mention of the front suspension being M components. Further, this car left the BMW factory in 1995. The 1995 BMW M3 uses the standard control arm with offset bushings and all models after, have a different control arm with centered bushings and different sway bar end links. Ugh, so I had the wrong control arm bushings. Also, I couldn't find the offset bushings already pressed into the "lollipop." I went back and forth trying to decide if I was going to spend the money on the special tool to remove and install the bushings on the control arm, but in the end decided to since I can use it on both my car and my wife's, and it will pay for itself after one use.

This is pretty much where I'm at now. I got the tool after waiting for 3 weeks. Basically, everything is still disassembled.

Oh, I also noticed a few cracks in the brake lines, so I have purchased all new brake lines as well. I don't feel like doing these myself, so I'll have the shop do it when I take the car for an alignment after the front has been reassembled.

Tags
alpina b8 4.6, bmw, fast, photo, saloon