Go Back   Can-Am Alpina Club > General Discussion > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Introduce Yourself Tell us who you are and where you're from

Site News
Latest 5 Posts Forum Author
Alpina Parts at BMW? 05-13-2022 09:35 AM General Discussion Scooter
Alpina B8 #64 of 93 Limo 05-12-2022 07:33 AM General Discussion Scooter
The Forum is Still Here! 05-10-2022 06:01 AM Off-topic Stirling
for sale - 98 b12 5.7 long in Ontario - not mine 07-02-2021 03:16 PM Alpina Wanted/For Sale Scooter
BlueBus for i-bus equipped BMWs 08-30-2020 04:22 PM General Discussion admin

Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Hello from Calgary

Hello all.

I will start off by saying I don't currently own an Alpina, but I am a HUGE Alpina fan! I was referred to this forum by Saint from ProjectTechnik. I have been lurking for quite a while, and finally decided to make an account before some stole my user name.

Since May 4th, 2005 I have owned a 1998 E36 328i Sedan in Canyonrot Metallic/Beige. Pictures are below.

My goal is to aquire an E38 B12. I absolutley love the E38 7 Series. While I love my E36, I really want the additional leg room of the E38 for my kids.

One of my most recent pictures:

These two are circa summer of 2006

From a meet in May
Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Vader. Lovely E36 you have.

There was an E38 B12 up for auction just last week in Japan. Might come up again - keep your eyes peeled.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Thank you Stirling. Its no Alpina, but I quite enjoy it. A friend of mine put the Alpina pinstripes on his E30 and it looks stunning so I have been contemplating getting a set. Need to repair a door ding where the stripes would be first though.

Money is a bit of an issue for obtaining an E38 at the moment, so I hope they remain in good condition until I can purchase one. I want one of the Longwheelbase versions preferably.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Welcome Vader, I recognize your car from Instagram and the rare colour.

IMO an E36 is fine for kids. I haul my Daughter around in my E36 B3 - she loves it! But an E38 B12 would be an awesome ride.

As for putting Alpina stripes on a non-Alpina, that's a big no from me. Save your money and put it towards your future Alpina purchase instead.

Last edited by jrsmitchell; 08-12-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks! For those curious I am @e36m52 on instagram if anyone wants to follow me.

Normally it would be fine, but my 3 1/2 year old son already touches the back of the seat so i am constanly cleaning his shoe marks off. I love the added leg room of the E38 and some of the other features it offers. Who doesnt love the fold down tray tables? I love my E36 but I would like something a little bigger. I am a big sedan fan, and all the cars I have ever owned have been four door. I wouldnt mind an Alpina E36 at all, but if I had the choice an E38 would be the top of the list.

A friend of mine is in the UK right now and can get the set of vyinl pinstripes for about $55-60CDN. Thats why I was thinking about it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
A friend of mine is in the UK right now and can get the set of vyinl pinstripes for about $55-60CDN. Thats why I was thinking about it.
It's not really a cost issue to me, I just think if you don't have a legit Alpina chassis and engine then you shouldn't be rocking the stripes. Ditto for ///M badges on a non-M car. Just my $0.02

As for the E38 plan, it sounds like it would work quite nicely for you then. One piece of advice I would give is to look into insurance first. I could only get specialty insurance for my B3 here in Ontario - no using it as a daily driver unfortunately. I think you guys have it a little better with insurance out there though!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
It's not really a cost issue to me, I just think if you don't have a legit Alpina chassis and engine then you shouldn't be rocking the stripes. Ditto for ///M badges on a non-M car. Just my $0.02

As for the E38 plan, it sounds like it would work quite nicely for you then. One piece of advice I would give is to look into insurance first. I could only get specialty insurance for my B3 here in Ontario - no using it as a daily driver unfortunately. I think you guys have it a little better with insurance out there though!
I do very much agree with the M badging philosphy.

I like to think our insurance is better here, but i still hate insurance companies. I would never want to insure an Alpina through my current provider TD Meloche Monex.

My neighbor is also a huge Alpina fan and previously owned an '07 B7. He has since sold it, and is looking for a new summer car. I talked him into getting a "propper" Alpina and not a BMW VIN'd one. He is also a huge 7 Series fan and is quite interested in an E38 at the moment as well.