View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Default cheers from Boston!

Thanks for the notes. I have loved the E9 shape since I was a kid in Australia... well and truly before I knew what a BMW was let alone Alpina... but when I heard of a 1974 BMW E9 3.0CS that was potentially for sale with a bunch of Alpina original elements then I simply had to investigate!... by then I had moved to the United States and started to pay attention to the various online forums and car clubs.

I met with the original owner who was contemplating a sale to the right/worthy buyer (who shall remain confidential unless he wants to reveal himself) and it felt as though he was interviewing me as much as I was keen to know about the history of the car and the general extent of rust, wear/tear, and things that need to be taken care of.

After taking possession of the coupe, I drove it for while and then went for a total ground-up restoration... no talent from me, just dollars. The team at Vintage Sports and Restoration under the lead of Mario Langsten took care of the restoration and we wanted to ensure we kept as much patina as possible but freshen up the drivetrain and address several inevitable rust areas.

I love driving the car so much, no radio, just the sounds from carbs and the hum from the Alpina plenum :-)