View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM

I got the B7 in 2009. Wasn't looking seriously for a new car yet, but there it was, at the dealer I trust, with 13K miles. Knowing that it had been maintained properly was a big selling point, and the other was that it was gorgeous, and had the short body (I find the new B7 far too big for my needs or my parking space).

For the most part it was trouble free, until this past fall. I was noticing a rare stutter, not sure what it was, until when accelerating on a highway in front of an 18 wheeler, it just would not go above 50. It is frightening to see a truck get closer and closer in the rear view mirror, with its air horn blaring, and have NO RESPONSE. Fortunately I was able to move back over to the right (and I forever thank that trucker for not running over me). Car was fine under 45 MPH, and as I was close to my dealer on back roads, I went there. I gather the fuel filter was black with guck, and after it was replaced I got the acceleration back. However, the stutter got more frequent and slightly worse, and the check engine light would go on, and after a day or two, would go off. After replacing the O2 sensor and a few other things, there were no faults stored, and the diagnosis was transmission or catalytic converter. So I decided to get the B6. I can only survive one close encounter with an 18 wheeler like that!

There is a guy in New Hampshire (Carter's European Auto) who rebuilds these cars. He had another B7 there and he bought mine - not for much, but whatever I got was helpful. I did ask him to let me know when he figures out what was wrong, and maybe he will.

The B6 looks just like the one in the BMW brochure, with the platinum upholstery. I probably spent as much on the snows, wrap, extended warranty, etc. as I saved buying (barely) used, but I think it will be worth it. (Later than) midlife crisis, I suppose (although the definition of mid life seems to be changing as I age).