View Single Post
Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 AM

Next onto the front suspension. I don't have as many photos of this, but I'm replacing a lot:
  • Control arms and bushings
  • Inner and outer tie rods
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Sway bar end links

Old sway bar parts

Tie rod removed

And this is where I got stuck for a bit. I replaced the control arms in my wife's 2000 330i before, so I thought this would be similar....not quite. The ball joint separator I usually use didn't fit under the shock, so I had to go out and buy a pickle fork to remove the control arms. Once removed I noticed the control arms used offset bushings which is where I got confused and had to do research.

Before I started I looked at the control arms. They are the serviceable type found on non-M suspension, so I assumed it was all non-M in the front. The parts brochure for the car (from Alpina) is usually pretty good about specifying Alpina specific or M specific items. However, there is no mention of the front suspension being M components. Further, this car left the BMW factory in 1995. The 1995 BMW M3 uses the standard control arm with offset bushings and all models after, have a different control arm with centered bushings and different sway bar end links. Ugh, so I had the wrong control arm bushings. Also, I couldn't find the offset bushings already pressed into the "lollipop." I went back and forth trying to decide if I was going to spend the money on the special tool to remove and install the bushings on the control arm, but in the end decided to since I can use it on both my car and my wife's, and it will pay for itself after one use.

This is pretty much where I'm at now. I got the tool after waiting for 3 weeks. Basically, everything is still disassembled.

Oh, I also noticed a few cracks in the brake lines, so I have purchased all new brake lines as well. I don't feel like doing these myself, so I'll have the shop do it when I take the car for an alignment after the front has been reassembled.