PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get genuine parts in NA?

jrsmitchell
03-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm looking for the Alpina 3.2 intake manifold, I believe the Alpina part # is 11 61 127.

After a few months of waiting none have appeared on ebay, except attached to the rest of the motor and costing

jrsmitchell
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
And of course shortly after posting I came across a US parts broker: http://www.alpina-usa.com/

I can try there but the prices seem a little optimistic :)

Stirling
03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
In Canada you can order Alpina parts through any BMW dealer. In the USA you go through KSK, whom you discovered.

jrsmitchell
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
The best BMW parts guy in my area says he can only order parts for models originally offered here. i.e. Roadster and B7, but not my E36. :(

He also doesn't recognize the part # since it's not 11 digits. But that's how it's displayed in the E36 and E39 catalogs.

I'll keep trying...

Stirling
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
The best BMW parts guy in my area says he can only order parts for models originally offered here. i.e. Roadster and B7, but not my E36. :(

He also doesn't recognize the part # since it's not 11 digits. But that's how it's displayed in the E36 and E39 catalogs.

I'll keep trying...
I bought piles of parts for an E34 Biturbo through Maranello without breaking a sweat. He even quoted me on them ahead of time. If you aren't successful with them let me know.

Scooter
03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Did you just give them the part numbers and you were good to go? Were they Alpina specific parts?

When I went to the local BMW dealer they just got really confused :confused:

paul 84b7
03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.wallothnesch.com/
They have gotten me all my alpina parts.
KSK is outrageous!
Quoted 1650 euros for B7/1 part including shipping from de!/same part KSK 3900.00 + shipping
No brainer
You'll have to contact them via email or phone.they do speak/email in english

jrsmitchell
03-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I bought piles of parts for an E34 Biturbo through Maranello without breaking a sweat. He even quoted me on them ahead of time. If you aren't successful with them let me know.

Actually it is Mike at Maranello that I am dealing with, that's where that quote rgarding models sold in North America came from. He is very helpful and fast on BMW parts queries so I definitely don't want to give a negative impression! It's possible it was just that particular part # he was having trouble with.

This is all a bit of a long shot that the manifold will be reasonably priced, but I appreciate all the input thus far!

Stirling
03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Did you just give them the part numbers and you were good to go? Were they Alpina specific parts?

When I went to the local BMW dealer they just got really confused :confused:
Yes, and yes.

testdriver
03-09-2013, 08:17 PM
if you're interested to buy it new just send me a PM with the VIN.
i'll reply with a quote that will be under any BMW/KSK/... price! ;)

ps. the part number is correct

jrsmitchell
03-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Just to close the loop on this, the best way to get genuine Alpina parts seems to be to post here :D You'll get lots of helpful replies that way. Thanks to everyone who helped.

In my case the part I was looking for is EUR800+ new, which is too much for me right now.

According to one person who helped me (they can identify themselves if they wish... :) ) Alpina will require you to provide:
-a VIN matching the part (i.e. from a 3.2 in this case), which I don't currently have
-evidence that you originally had this part installed and it's now damaged

If this is all true then I find it disappointing that Alpina would set out these requirements even for genuine owners who are looking to mix-and-match parts a little bit. Either way I'm not paying that price for the part so I decided not to push it. The second requirement explains the "quality" parts I see on eBay which look like they've been blown up with dynomite.

testdriver
03-30-2013, 07:11 AM
i officially offered my "services" on this board before, no real identification needed, most people know it. :D

like i mentioned to you ALPINA sees itself as a car manufacturer and not a tuner. that means most power-train related parts can not be purchased without proof of ALPINA car ownership and a valid reason for the need of the replacement part in question. and that's only for customers overseas that can't bring the car to ALPINA. used parts are still a good alternative, even though some folks ask stupid amounts for them because of the above fact.

gorfllub
06-21-2013, 07:43 AM
The B10 (1989 3.5/1) had a fight with a groundhog yesterday.

The groundhog certainly lost. My wife was driving the car and I was following behind in another vehicle. The groundhog did some amazing aerobatics from out the back of the car. (In several pieces)

However the Alpina did not come out unscathed. The air dam will need to be repaired and a fog light replaced. Its still in 1 pc but is cracked right through. Shouldnt be a difficult repair.

The damage isnt bad, but will require a new decal. Mine is the metallic gold in color. For now I just need a price and avail. Once insurance approves everything I can send a photo just to make sure we get the right color.

Thanks!

roadster-s
06-25-2013, 09:08 AM
For the front spoiler striping/decal, you can send a PM to Simon on the alpinaregister.com

His username is SPA69. Expect around 50 GBP shipped to North America.

testdriver
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
you can go with aftermarket decals if you don't mind risking a slight color
difference (which is usually the case). the OEM decals from ALPINA are quite
expensive. front spoiler was around 100 EUR if i remember correctly... ;)

roadster-s
07-03-2013, 03:21 AM
you can go with aftermarket decals if you don't mind risking a slight color
difference (which is usually the case). the OEM decals from ALPINA are quite
expensive. front spoiler was around 100 EUR if i remember correctly... ;)

Indeed. Simon's decals are aftermarket, but quite good from what I read of members who bought them.

jrsmitchell
07-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Simon quoted me

testdriver
07-03-2013, 06:48 PM
buying a complete set (if you buy none-OEM decals) is the way to go!

gorfllub
09-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Sounds like they may be replacing the front spoiler instead of repairing it.

Can you price a genuine one for the 89 B10 3.5/1?

testdriver
09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
i'll check for you, just send me the VIN via pm please. i brought a couple of ALPINA spoilers over on the air plane myself, because shipping was so extremly expensive (something close to 400 EUR)... they are very light but quite bulky.