PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself

Snow Burner
07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello All,

I ran into your site last month and joined up as I too am smitten with an Alpina affliction. I've pretty much been a car nut since I could talk and tell people about it. My first Bmw was a '70 2002, purchased in '76, which I promptly rolled over 9 months later. Sorry, Mr. Flanagan (former owner), I know she only had that one dimple in the hood...immaculate. Not so pretty after Deadman's Curve on N.Y.12B and I were done with her. The car saved my life while losing its own in the process. I've been a devoted follower since.

And... I've bought a few more, drove em till they're done (New England winters), fixed up a few, and stored some for the future. Certainly I have a few parts cars but most of the ones I have kept are fairly unique (yet 70's technology). A D-tronic injected, S. American delivery, E-3 3.0 Si W/cloth, no headrests, and gold minilites; Italian delivery 2002 tii with rare vintage go fast Italian parts added; 1972 U.S. tii, s.n. 2762000, all matching numbers, original; one of 179 manual tranny, 1975 U.S. 3.0 si s; and what brings me to this page - an '82 E-12 B7S, no. 13 0f 60, one of 3 with air and sunroof.

This Alpina goes like a scalded rabbit esp. between 60 (2nd gear) and points North. Last time I felt brave on a long midnight straightaway, I let a pesky crotch rocket pull up even to pass at 85 before sinking it; left him, with I'm sure some surprise, in the proverbial dust with no chance for retribution as he didn't have the top end either.

That 30-0ver-Thing does hamper enjoyment of such a vehicle. Drving in Canada with such entusiasm is also frowned upon esp. if one is just a friendly neighbor. Though I did once follow a Mercedes at close to triple digits (from a safe distance) on the Trans Canadian but not in this vehicle.

Currently, after many wonderful summers and falls on the road, no. 13 resides in dry, warm storage awaiting a new brain as, whilst performing some eletrical wizardry, I fried it. A new one must be procurred from an E-12 or E-24 B7/B7S from the 70s or 80s, as I have tried other avenues. If you have any leads on such an item please contact me as after 3 or 4 years I am missing my old friend.

It has been a pleasure discovering your site and I hope to keep a better eye on it in the future. Respectfully,

Francis Owen

Blue Hill, Maine & Gunnison, Colorado

Stirling
07-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Francis welcome to the site and thanks for joining us. Great "auto"-biography you have there. Be sure to share some pictures of your wonderful machine with us when you get the chance.

Todd S
07-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to one day own an Alpina. I prefer the a4s as I've always driven a smaller car like the BMW 2002. I've seen many Alpina a4s cars online but never in person. Are there any here in Colorado or nearby? :)

Thanks,
Todd