Scooter
01-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Wow :eek: That's expensive.

It even makes Dwayne's B8 look like a bargain! :D

Stirling
01-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Yeah, that is something I haven't been able to figure out about the Japanese used car market. Perhaps someone here has experience with this issue:

-cars at auction in Japan are often very, very cheap. Especially compared with European classifieds (mobile.de) prices.
-cars on a dealer's lot in Japan are often very, very expensive. Even when compared with European or North American prices.

Here in Canada the differential between auction price and dealer retail on a $30,000 car might be as much as $5,000 - $8,000 but over there the differential seems much larger.

What gives?:confused:

saint
01-10-2012, 10:27 AM

thats funny ryan because when i first looked at the price i was thinking wow mine is a bargain then i saw your post lol

Scooter
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Here in Canada the differential between auction price and dealer retail on a $30,000 car might be as much as $5,000 - $8,000 but over there the differential seems much larger.

What gives?:confused:

I don't know the whole deal or a complete explanation, but I've been told that it is very expensive for dealers in Japan (mostly in the major cities) to have stock sitting on their lot. Space is at a premium, so my guess is that they put up huge price tags in order to try and find the right buyer at the right time and snag a big profit. You can also see these big mark-ups on Yahoo auctions.

I would guess that the general Japanese public doesn't purchase their vehicles from auction like people in Canada or the US do (when purchasing a vehicle from Japan). I could be wrong, I don't know. If we import a car we are going through a business that has access to the auction system, and they know the car is going to be exported. Maybe there are some other tax incentives and such?